Winter Weather Delays
In an effort to increase student safety during winter months, Denver Public Schools would like to remind you of its Weather Delay Policy. All schools (regardless of start time) will be delayed by two hours if a Weather Delay is called by the District.
The purpose of the Weather Delay Schedule is to provide school buses additional time to pick up students and reduce student wait time in severe weather. The decision to close or delay school will be made by the superintendent based on information provided by representatives from DPS Transportation Services, transportation agencies and the weather bureau.
If DPS calls a Weather Delay:
- Morning school buses will run on a delayed schedule and begin pick-ups at bus stops two hours later than the normal pick-up time. (Example: If your morning school bus pick-up time is 7:55 a.m., your bus will pick up at 9:55 a.m.)
- Students walking, biking, carpooling or taking RTD are encouraged to leave home two hours later than they would normally leave for school. (Example: If students leave home at 7:45 a.m. for school, he/she would now depart at 9:45 a.m. to arrive to school on time)
- ECE and kindergarten: Morning (AM) kindergarten will be canceled. Afternoon (PM) preschool students will attend school and have bus service on their normal schedule.
- Breakfast will still be served to students as they arrive to school.
If DPS schools remain open during severe weather:
- The district will monitor the weather throughout the day to ensure student safety.
- The required transportation will be provided. However, services may be modified to ensure bus driver and student safety.
- Traffic conditions may require students to spend additional time in route to school, special activities, programs or at home.
- If severe weather begins during the school day, a decision may be made regarding early dismissal.
- Bus routes will run in the same order as normally followed in the afternoon. Depending on conditions, arrival times at home may vary.
- After-school activities (athletic events, enrichment programs, etc.) may be modified or canceled as a result of the weather conditions.
If DPS schools are closed due to severe weather:
- Transportation will not run any buses.
- All after-school activities, which include middle and high school sports, are canceled and transportation will not be provided for these activities.
- Please make the necessary plans for the care of your student in the event that school is canceled.
How you will be informed:
In the event of inclement weather, district officials will make the decision by 5 a.m. If the decision is made to close or delay school, local television and radio stations will be notified immediately and broadcast regular announcements of school closures or delays. You can also visit thedenverchannel.com, 9News.com, kdvr.com and denver.cbslocal.com. Notifications in Spanish will be made on radio newscasts on 1150-AM, 1280-AM and 1090-AM.
- Robo Call – In the event that a Weather Delay or School Closure is called, families will receive a Robo Call notification informing them of next steps. It is important that families maintain updated contact information with their school’s front office and in Infinite Campus.
- Weather.dpsk12.org – Emergency School Closures or Weather Delays will be posted here and on transportation.dpsk12.org.
- Social Media – Announcements to close or delay school will also be posted to Facebook.com/DenverPublicSchools, as well as @DPSnewsnow and @DPSschoolbus on Twitter.
- Hotlines – A message announcing the closure or late start will also be left on the school district’s closure hotline at 720-423-3200, as well as on the DPS Transportation hotline at 720-423-4600.